It is the first month of summer in December in NZ, New Zealand. And it’s best time to visit New Zealand for a vacation too.
Nature is at its best and the NZ countryside looks bewitching with flowers and greenery all over. For tourists, there’s quite a bit of activities to engage in during New Zealand summer.
The many things you can do in New Zealand in December
Whether you are on a romantic, couples only trip, or a family vacation, a seniors trip, or a friends and offbeat travel, there’s something for all to do during summer time in New Zealand.
- Go beach hopping or lake hopping and swim in the warm waters and take advantage of the best time to visit New Zealand.
- If you want to hit the beaches, go swimming, or want to just stay outdoors this is the best month, thanks to the pleasant weather.
- Go on a scenic walk up to some top places to visit in New Zealand like Mt. Victoria in Wellington, the Queenstown Hill in Queenstown, or the Mt. Roy in Wanaka.
- Experience a different kind of Christmas in New Zealand and the traditions and settings are very different from the rest of the world. Typically, it is a ‘hot’ Christmas heralded in like a beach party with barbecues and summer parties.
- The delightful weather is the best time to visit New Zealand and perfect for outdoor things to do in New Zealand like going on long drives, boating, kayaking, and fruit picking.
- You can also choose to enjoy the white surf beaches from Mount Maunganui to Papamoa.
- Visit wineries in Blenheim in South Island- Best New Zealand Summer Destinations- and enjoy some gourmet delicacies while here.
- Summer and what’s not to do in Kaitaia - Go fishing, walking, surfing, trekking, diving, kayaking, hiking, golfing, and quad biking.
Some Important Events and Festivals in December, best time to visit New Zealand
December is of course the end of the year, holiday time, Christmastime and of course the New Year is just waiting to unveil. Schools and most businesses are closed in New Zealand, and the warm summer heralds a relaxed, touristy setting.
Some interesting events during the best time to visit New Zealand include:
- Coromandel Gold Music Festival, Coromandel
- La De Da New Year's Eve Music Festival, Martinborough
- Selective Soundz Music Festival, Mangawhai
- Rhythm and Vines Music Festival, Gisborne
- Festival of Cycling, Christchurch
- Clarence Spectacular Mountain Bike Race, Hanmer Springs
- Urge 3 Peaks Enduro Bike Ride, Dunedin
- Festival of Lights, New Plymouth
- Puke Steam Tug Steaming Trips, Auckland Harbor
- Christchurch Wine and Food Festival, Christchurch
Don’t miss NZ’s special-The gorgeous Pohutukawa trees!
Pohutukawa trees are exclusive to New Zealand. Incidentally, December is when the Pohutukawa trees are in full bloom too. And as you drive along NZ’s North Island cities like Greymouth or Coromandel, you can see the rich, crimson red flowers in full bloom. And this beautiful sight is never to be missed. These trees are also warmly called as ‘New Zealand Christmas Trees’ simply because they bloom around Christmastime. There is also a must-see event celebrating this- the Coromandel Pohutukawa Festival, in Coromandel.
Tips to keep in mind when traveling to New Zealand in December
- December in New Zealand is the start of summer, the best time to visit New Zealand. The days are long, warm, and sunny and nights are mild. But there can be occasional rains. So if you’re sightseeing, or going to be outdoors, always check the weather forecast.
- Average temperature in NZ ranges between 15-30 degrees Celsius in December.
- Please take note the sun’s UV, ultraviolet rays are highest in New Zealand than in any other parts of the world. And since December is summertime in NZ, remember to wear sunscreen at all times and it should have SPF 30+ strength. The UV levels are its peak esp. between 12:00pm to 2:00pm.
- Wear light, cool, cotton clothing, and a hat at all times. And don’t forget to carry an umbrella or a raincoat.
- As it’s Christmas holidays and summer holidays, all schools are closed for a long break and even local people are holidaying.
- There are a couple public holidays during the Christmas weekend, and accordingly, most businesses, banks, and government offices, hotels and restaurants are closed too.
- Keep in mind that during public holidays around Christmas, if you’re here visiting or planning on visiting here that weekend, check with the hotel you’re staying whether you will get food. As all restaurants will be closed till two days after Christmas. Just in case, it’s good to buy some packaged foods and keep it handy.
- Many shops will be closed for longer duration during Christmastime and so shopping will be an issue.
- Keep in mind hotel rooms are pricier during this time.
- Since summer is the best time to visit New Zealand as well as peak holiday season in New Zealand, hence, you’ll find locals and tourists everywhere. In case, you like it quiet and peaceful, then February would be an ideal month.
If you want to ring in a warm Christmas or New Year in nice romantic, summery weather, then a visit to New Zealand in December is best. And for this, check out our different packages and some steal deals we may have for you here!
Or fill in your details and let us plan your next trip http://holidayoffers.holxo.com/help-me-plan-my-trip/